Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Entangled exhibit at VAG

I went to see the current painting show at the Vancouver Art Gallery earlier this week. It is entitled "Entangled: Two Views on Contemporary Canadian Painting." I'm usually not particularly excited about painting that is non-figurative, but I knew of some of the artists in the show (Sandra Meigs, Elizabeth McIntosh, Colleen Heslin) and decided to check it out. They are currently between shows right now so the ticket price was discounted ;) but it also meant that the gallery was pretty empty. I like it when the gallery is empty because then you actually have time to stay with a painting for a while, without the pressure of being hurried along by someone next to you. My favourite thing to do is to sit down on the benches they have set up a stare at the work for a longer period of time (sometime fantasizing about what my work would look like in the space, but that's another story) and just let my eyes soak in the work. It takes awhile for a painting to unfold for you sometimes. I think good painting does that. Here are some of the highlights.




Nice to see Sandra Meigs' work on the huge banner outside :)

Sandra Meigs

Elizabeth McIntosh

John Kissick

John Kissick

Nathalie Thibault

Jeremy Hof

Neil Harrison

I have to say that I think I'm the "Performative Painting" camp (painting that values actions and materiality). Painting that reveals itself to you, its form, its meaning as you make it is what interests me. I still hold onto figuration because I need it as a base of which to push off. But then again, who knows where I'll be at the end of my BFA :)

No comments: