Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Starting to pick up steam

These self-doubts that I've had about this work that I'm making right now are the flip side to this slow and steady ball of energy that's been building up inside of me: it's just about ready to rip! I wrote a list the other night of things I can remove from my work, as a guideline almost:
I don't want to make:
-pure abstracts
-painterly abstracts
-hard-edged works
-narrative/folk tales
-surrealist
-monochromatic
-graphic
-polished
-big heads
-drippy portraits
-single figures in photographic space
-cartoons
-still lives
-landscapes

I do want:
-fragmentation
-painterly marks
-soft edges
-scraping
-ghosting
-layering
-something new (that I haven't seen before)
-visual tension
-beautiful colour interaction
-textures
-soft/wet
-no critiquing
-autobiographical (can't escape it)


No comments: