Saturday, January 13, 2018

Thoughts on Beauty

What is beauty and why does it matter?
In my opinion, beauty is a standard or ideal that is agreed upon (consensus) outside of the individual (social). Its twin is ugly or non-beauty.
If I were to say if beauty had a function, it would not only bring pleasure to our senses but make us feel connected in some way to the world as a whole.
(bear with me cuz this is gonna get rambly)
In relation to the art that I make, is beauty important? Do I use beauty as a tool like I do my flat no. 12 brush? Going even further back to the question, what do I think beauty is? What are some examples? How does beauty differ from aesthetic experience?
I know that the purpose of my art is not to take the viewer on some life-enhancing experience . . . but why not? (contradicting myself already) Let's go back. What is beauty and what are some examples?
Currently, this is what I think beauty is.






Just off the top of my head.

Now, why does it matter? hmm, more later . . .

No comments: