Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Good ol' self-doubt

I've been chatting with my good old friend Self-doubt a lot lately. Ol' Self-douty can't seem to find any redeeming factors in the painting studies I've been doing of my collages. It's quite unnerving.
Luckily I stumbled on a podcast called the savvy painter (savvypainter.com) and listening to the interviews of other artists has been very helpful for me. The long and short of it is: don't overthink it, just paint, make things, keep at it and eventually it will become clear. It's sort of like the saying that it's harder to hit a moving target. So if I keep making stuff, I'll avoid getting sniped by ol' Selfie.
This, I think, is the unfortunate draw back of going to art school. A person becomes more cerebral when making art because you learn that you need to have an explanation for the marks you are making. When really, you need to let go of it and let things happen intuitively.
So . . . just keep at it.
Venusian Blinds, 30" by 24", oil on canvas, 2017

No comments: