Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Renew the blogger

Nope, I changed my mind. Tumblr is not so great for blogging. Especially since I want to write little pieces here and there. I do like that it is linked to my instagram, but that's about all . . .
So I decided to post here once more until I figure out how to make a blog directly on my website petekohut.ca

This is about collage. I was reintroduced to collage this past year while taking a third year level drawing class at uVic. I always kind of shyed away from collage because it was just cutting stuff out, very grade school craft time sort of thing. What I didn't expect was the kind of visual shock inherent in juxtaposing incongruous imagery. I'm kind of in love with it now and am looking for a way to incorporate it into my practice.
Below are a few samples. I'm thinking about a series of works on paper that explore the concept of "masculine" beauty. I'm drawn to this subject because even though I identify as a straight man, I can appreciate when a man is attractive or good looking. So my question is: what is masculine beauty? Is it a throw back to greco roman body beautiful? or has it evolved? if so, how? what does that look like? what is "masculine" anyway? what is beauty?


No comments: