Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Project 3

Project 3 is an open project.
What started out as an idea about sculpture in dialogue with painting, I was thinking about how I could move the plane of the picture (the surface) away from the wall. I tried out a few ideas and drew the conclusion that pulling the surface out into real space was maybe a little cliche, expected. So I thought about moving the picture plane into itself. Not physically possible . . . at least not with my rudimentary knowledge of particle physics. I was also thinking about my art-material-crush, candle wax, and "the drip" in contemporary painting (which is something we touched on last year in painting class). The idea of the drip as symbol of paint (liquid colour) made me think about gravity. So what form could these two ideas take when combined?
Maybe this? (good ol' Einstein)

No comments: