Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Drawing with thread

Experimental drawings using thread and black oil paint on standard paper. I love the way the thread forced me to loop around the forms to create some interesting shapes. These are studies for some larger paintings that I'm working on at the moment.

I like how these drawings are an extension of the continuous contour line that I love so much! Thread and sewing haven't really played an important role in my life . . . aside from sewing buttons and pant cuffs. But the long continuous loops remind me of playing in my sandbox as a tiny boy; making roads for my die-cast cars (Hot Wheels oh yeah!). I recall how the roads would end up looking like arteries and go over top of one another. A drawing in sand? hmm . . . maybe i'll just have to go to the beach! lol

No comments: