Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Thoughts about sculpture

I'm really enjoying my intro to contemporary sculpture class. I'm learning so much and I love exploring this new medium. What astounds me the most about sculpture is the presense of it: the immediate actuality of the object. It's not an impression of something or a rendering of an idea: it is a real thing! And i'm loving working with my hands. It reminds me of graphic design college and cutting mattes and type and basic forms. It's different from painting because sculpture is less about the emotion and spontaneity of expression and more about form and space.
Here's some sculptors that I like:

Bill Woodrow
Cal Lane (she's from Victoria!)
Richard Serra

Who knows where this will take me. Maybe in 5 years, I'll be making sculptures instead of painting? Maybe I'll be making sculptures of my paintings? Art study is what makes getting up in the morning worth while. (aside from a few other things of course <3)